Prevent and Prepare for Wildfires Frederick MD
Mount Airy, MD
Get a Security System for Just $99! Protect Your Home and Call ADT® Home Security Today.
MON - FRI 9:00AM - 11:00PM; SAT 9:00AM - 6:00PM; SUN CLOSED
Prevent and Prepare for Wildfires
If you live near a wild land area, wildfires can be a threat. Make sure you and your home are prepared for them.
Always have these things on hand in case a disaster strikes.
- Non-perishable food
- Can opener
- Drinking water
- Fully-charged mobile phone
- Fire extinguisher
- First aid kit
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Sturdy shoes
- Essential medicines
- Cash and credit cards
Before a Wildfire
Do the following before a wildfire occurs.
- Regularly rid gutters and downspouts of leaves and debris
- Maintain smoke detectors
- Install a fire distinguisher, and learn how to use it
- Make sure water hoses and sprinklers are in working order
- Rake leaves, pine needles, and so on
- Trim tree branches
- Regularly mow and water grass
- Store flammable liquids in safety containers
- Keep your chimney clean
- Have an evacuation plan
During a Wildfire
If you must evacuate, prepare your home, and leave immediately.
- Remove items outside that easily catch fire, such as firewood and lawn furniture
- Remove drapes
- Close all windows and doors
- Place sprinklers on roof, and keep them running
- Take pictures of your home for insurance purposes
After a Wildfire
Hazards might still be lurking, so take precautions.
- Stay away from fallen power lines that you encounter, and inform local authorities right away
- Stay away from burned trees and power poles
- Watch out for ash pits
- Watch for hot spots—they can flare up at any moment
- Check roof for embers and sparks, and extinguish immediately
- Recheck for embers and sparks throughout your home, especially the attic
- Check the stability of trees in your yard
- Make a list of damages, and take pictures for insurance purposes
Lessen the Effects of a Future Wildfire
Help make the effects of a wildfire less disastrous.
- Install a spark arrester on your chimney
- Clean gutters and downspouts regularly
- Avoid using materials that are not fire resistant on the exterior of your home
- Wood shakes and shingles, open soffits, and wood fences frequently help spread wildfires—avoid them if you are in a wildfire area
- Keep a clearing of at least 30 ft. around your home
- Plant fire-resistant landscaping in the 100-ft. area around your home
- Install electrical lines underground if possible
- Observe fire safety at all times
Get a free subscription to Homeminders’ home management system (no credit card required)